Rizal’s Life and Works
I. Course Overview
Course Code: JOSERIZ
Course Title: Rizal’s Life and Works
Type of Course: General
Faculty: Dr. Ronan S. Estoque
II. Course Description
This is a critical study of the life, works, and writings of Rizal as they relate to the socio-political situation of the Philippines during his time and its implication to our present time. It focuses on the analysis of his two novels “Noli Me Tangere” and “El Filibusterismo” and some selected poem and essays.
III. Course Objectives
In line with the DLS-CSB’s mission to build a community of citizens fostering a sense of nationhood and living Filipino ideals, this course aims to foster the development of national consciousness among the youth.
Students are expected to demonstrate critical thinking through analysis by writing a reaction paper and position paper on the impact of the two novels on the socio-political situation of the Philippines during Rizal’s time and to the present situation.
1. Analyze the impact of Rizal’s life in relation to his contribution on the socio-political situation of the Philippines at the present time.
2. Interpret the selected poem, essays and novels and its impact to socio-political situation during the past and present time.
3. Justify Rizal’s heroism and his declaration as the national hero of the Philippines.
IV. Course Content
A. Background on the socio-political situation of the Philippines during Rizal’s times.
B. Family Background of Rizal.
C. Educational background of Rizal.
D. Struggles, trial and execution of Rizal.
E. Poems and essays on nationalism.
F. Poems on Education.
G. Poems and Essays on Filipino Culture.
H. Novels “Noli Me Tangere” and “El Filibusterismo”.
I. Republic Act No. 1425.
J. Comments/Issues on the Heroism of Rizal.
K. Criteria in the making of Rizal as a national hero.
V. Course Requirements and Grading System
A. Regular Attendance (10%). All students of this subject are required to attend all the sessions scheduled for the term. STUDENTS WHO EXCEEDS THE ALLOWABLE ABSENCES WILL FAIL THE COURSE.
B. Class participation/recitation (10%).
C. Quizzes (25%).
D. Group Project (25%).
E. Major Examinations (30%).
F. Computation of Final Grade
Midterm Grade + Prefinal Grade / 2
1. Jose Rizal, A Hero’s Life (2005) by Claudio V. Tabotabo and Roman D. Leaño, Jr.
2. Jose Rizal, The First Filipino (2004) by Maguigad et, al.
3. Rizal Without the Overcoat (1990) by Ambeth Ocampo.
4. Jose Rizal: Life, Works and Writings of a Genius, Writer, Scientist and National Hero 2nd Edition (1998) by Gregorio Zaide and Sonia M. Zaide.
by Dr. Ronan S. Estoque, June, 2009